March 25, 2012
Edmodo started off as Safe Social Networking for schools but they quickly added a (simple) grade book, quizzes and polls turning it into something more like a VLE or Learning Platform.
Their latest news is that they are going to have an app store for learning contents on the platform. This sounds interesting as decent content is always what is missing on any learning platform and finding, trying, paying for and installing new content is always too complicated.
So will Edmodo turn out to be a free VLE on which you can run your school? First thought – the grade book allows a numeric grade only ie, no A, B C or 5a, 5b, 5c. Second thought. Material and assignments are published in reverse chronological order ie in the conversation stream. There is no structure for courses.
So far I would say its not replacing a full VLE yet.
March 20, 2012
A reminder of how worthwhile meeting other teachers from other schools is – and a great lunch too.
- geo-caching: I finally got a chance to have a go and found questions with QR coded answers. Although getting kids to use their phones isn’t their yet. C:Geo didn’t work for me.
- Lego We do. Yes I’d like to but there are more important things to spend the money on (£70 per motor kit with usb, £160 for software site licence
- Edmodo: Free VLE plus social networking platform. This could be big.
- Programming: Small Basic, CodeAcademy.com and mobile apps (below)
- Building up links with local business (a reminder)
- BTEC Information & Creative technology level 2&3 might be interesting.
Some great links to mobile App creation
- RedFoundry see video Add modules eg. Menus, Modules (Flickr, twitter)
- Live Code (£££) long Video
- Stencylworks (free software) great Video. Scratch type interface. Find and share resorces in market place. Sell your game
- App Inventor (was run by Google Labs) for Android Scratch type interface – looks good
- XCode (Mac only) see video
- Apple SDK need to register
- YouSRC.com pc & mac great video Webbased simulator program. With android player. Apps can be shared with others. Source code available.